Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Why I DOMINATE?

People often tell me, jokingly I think, "you sure say dominate all the time. Why do you like that word?" Maybe some people just don't get it.  Maybe some people don't like it.  If you are going to do anything right in life you must own it.  Be the best you can be at it. To borrow a great quote from one of my favorite movie Trilogies The Matrix  

Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than just your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desparately to justify an existence that is without meaning or porpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why?! Why do you persist?!
Neo: Because I choose to.

It is not secret to anyone that knows me that I love Alabama Football.  I have loved it for as long as I can remember.  The first game I have any memory of going to was the 1987 Iron Bowl.  Alabama lost that game 0-10.  We lost but it was no big deal, I had lost many park and rec games though out my early sporting career.  Maybe we would win next time I thought.  Then it happened.  The one event the shaped the course of my football loving future.  As my mom and I were leaving the stadium a Auburn fan came right up to me and my mom and shook their shaker right in our faces and yelled at the top of their lungs..."War Eagle!!!  Bama Sucks!!  Go home Bama Losers!!!"  That one rude fan taught me all I needed to know, this was more than a game...it was personal.  Bama went on to lose the next 2 Iron Bowls as well.  I was older and much wiser when I saw the 1990 Iron Bowl at Legion Field.  We beat Auburn 16-7 and that was, up to that point, the greatest time in my life.  I remember thinking, in the mid 4th quarter after kicking a field goal to make it a 2 score game,we are finally going to win.  That victory, that domination, showed me what it felt like to defeat that which you hate the most.  Fast forward 17 years.  The 2006 season was dismal to say the least.  We were coached by Mike Shula and it was time for him to be relieved of his duties.  Who would we hire, who could we get?  Who would want to come coach this once proud program that had been left at the bottom of the SEC barrel?  Well as you know now, we landed the best coach in the country, Nick Saban.  He reminded me of what it means to Dominate.  He uses the word like I use it.  Be relentless, be strong and give 100% in everything that you do.  Alabama is 43-5 since 2008.  I would say that is Dominating!!  

So to answer the question that so many ask, Why do I dominate? Why do I say it all the time?  Why do I teach my children to do it?  Because I choose to.  If you don't understand or agree then you might end up getting PROCESSED!!


2 comments: